This series hasn’t just been an interesting one but one full of inspiring stories of the giants of old. So far we’ve been able to go through the lives of four different leaders (Abraham, Moses, David, and Ruth).
This episode continues the trend as we discuss another great man of faith, as seen in the fifth chapter of the book Bible Giants of Faith by James Taiwo. The direct reference to this story is found in 1 Samuel Chapter 1
Samuel- a prophet and an Israelite legend who kept a consistent relationship with God throughout his life.
Samuel’s life began with Hannah’s very touching scene, praying to God at the tabernacle in Shiloh.
Hannah pleaded with God to allow her to bear a son because she was barren. She prayed vigorously so much to the extent that Prophet Eli, who was passing, thought she was crazy.
Hannah vowed to God (promised) in her prayer that if He allowed her to bear a son, she would dedicate the boy back for His service.
This means the boy would have to serve God all the days of his life.
God answered Hannah’s prayer; she conceived and bore a son, and named him Samuel, saying, “Because I have asked for him from the Lord”.
Samuel grew and started his life under the care and training of Eli, the priest and judge of Israel at that time, just as her mother promised to dedicate him to God.
God began to speak to Samuel from his childhood. His first message from God was quite sobering and was to be delivered to Eli.
The message required that Samuel must announce God’s punishment on Eli’s two wayward sons, Hophni and Phinehas.
Samuel delivered the message as God sent him, but, unfortunately, Eli did not respond with an expected action, rather, he disrespected God. 1 Sam. 3:18
Eli’s disrespect to God did not go well. God told Eli that his descendants would die in their flower age and He would also choose another family to serve in the priestly line.
God’s punishment came on Prophet Eli and his family. The lives of Hophni and Phinehas (Eli’s sons) were cut short as it happened that war broke out in Israel that claimed their lives. Eli also collapsed and died when he heard the news.
The unfortunate event in Eli’s family accelerated Samuel’s position, and he became God’s ordained prophet and the judge of Israel.
Samuel’s Growth and Leadership
As Samuel grew and faithfully conveyed messages from God, it became obvious that God was working through him. He demonstrated great courage during his walk with God, as not seen in his boss, Prophet Eli.
- Samuel was not afraid to tell the truth of God’s word even when it was not convenient.
- He successfully led the Israelites to defeat the Philistines, their enemies, and the land prospered under his watch.
- Prophet Samuel was the one who anointed Saul as the first king of Israel after the people approached him and expressed their willingness to have a king.
Some Lessons from Prophet Samuel
- Prophet Samuel obeyed God throughout his life, and there was no fault found with him. (It is noteworthy to mention that Samuel, out of all Israelites’ leader, had no flaw recorded about him).
- As Christians, we must be bold and be firm in following God’s instructions, as this can be learned from Samuel, who did not hold back in telling his boss (Prophet Eli) everything that God was determined to do because of the sins of his family.
- Christians also must follow God’s instructions to the letter. Our decision to obey God may sometimes make us unpopular, but we still have an obligation to obey God anyway.
There are many more lessons to learn about Samuel as they are explained in details in the book Bible Giants of Faith.
Brace yourself for the next episode as we discuss Peter and the lessons we can learn from his life.
Did you miss the previous series and episodes? Find them here >> https://biblearena.org/category/
Inbound TopicsTags: Bible Book Of Giants, Bible Giants In The Promised Land, Bible Stories, Bible Stories Episode 1, Bible Stories In Chronological Order, Discipleship And Leadership, False Prophet Bible Verse, False Teachers And Prophets, Humility And Leadership, James Taiwo, Prophet Eli Sons, Prophet Samuel, Simpsons Bible Stories Episode, Superbook Bible Stories Full Episodes
Latest posts by James Taiwo (see all)
- BE WISE AND PROPERLY USE YOUR TONGUE – James - April 15, 2021
- ADAM LOST SALVATION; JESUS REGAINED IT – Genesis - April 8, 2021
- ENEMY WILL PRY ON YOUR SPIRITUAL SENSITIVITY – Luke - March 27, 2021